Friday, December 10, 2010

What to wear

So Gilbert is all better- they replaced the shifter cable and housing (hmm, wonder if they had some of the special silver housing that I hunted down from Velo Orange), but I can't get out to Newton till tomorrow, so rode Minerva again.

I had a hard time figuring out what to wear today.  It's Friday, but I had a client meeting so wanted to look a little more formal.  I was going to a jobsite too,  and then tonight am rushing to a friend's house after work for takeout chinese and christmas cookies.    Oh, and it was 13 degrees outside.

I decided to go with pants,  wool felt ones with a poly lining, and wool ski socks in my la Canadienne ankle boots.   On top, a thin-ish cashmere sweater,  a down vest, and a somewhat lightweight red wool coat. On my ears a polar fleece earband,  and a long thin but fluffy scarf to put over my face if necessary.
For gloves I wore a pair of "liner" gloves-  the $1 a pair expandable type from Target,  and a pair of insulated  gloves over them.



On the way there, I had a nice chat with a fellow in full winter commuter kit (lycra leggings,  neon yellow coat)  They say that "nobody" rides in the winter-  I counted 7 bikers on my way into work!

This is me shivering at my meeting because I arrived 10 minutes early and had to wait on the sidewalk. Actually just my toes were cold.  I need to see if I can get insoles in these boots.

7 comments:

  1. Yup, cycled today as well. Planned to do lots of different things while out and about, but it was so freezing that I ended up postponing most of it till next week and coming back early. At least snow already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. david...no the other one!December 10, 2010 at 7:18 PM

    So appealing to the eye, of course you didn't say how long it took to decide what to wear. Over night? in your sleep? a moment's glance in your closet?
    Very nicely done, somehow I'm unable to see myself wearing my long wool coat when I ride, or I just don't have the need to wear something that is that stylish. My rides are more ratty jeans and sweatshirts. Or logger coats and hiking boots. So much for my Florsheims!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided that I can't stand riding my DL-1 in wide legged pants such as you elegantly wore on Minerva today. In my case, the left pant leg opening is constantly getting caught on the end of the cotter, which I find very annoying.

    I can't imagine what it must be like to ride in 13 degrees! My fingers and toes would be most vulnerable at that temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boston looks freezing! Although I grew up in New England and spent many wonderful times in Boston, I do not miss those icy winters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a frigid inspiration. Down south we had to weather a chilly 79 degrees this week. It has since dipped into the lower 40's. You are hardy stock and I applaud you...clap clap clap...SALUTE!

    ReplyDelete